Custom Search

what college courses do I take to become a vet tech?

| June 7, 2011 | 2 Comments

Question by Casey-LuLu: what college courses do I take to become a vet tech?
What college courses do I have to take to become a vet tech? what are some college’s around New england that I should look at for vet technician? I am looking at becoming a zoo vet technician if that helps at all.

Best answer:

Answer by Frank
One thing to do is get known in the animal rescue (DEC Wildlife rehabber) field, and ask around at your city zoo.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Answers and Questions

Comments (2)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. love says:

    If you go to a technical school, there will be an actual degree program in veterinarian technology. This will accredit you into becoming a vet tech. If you would like to specialize in zoos, I would go to a zoo and ask some of the vet techs where they went to school and if this study prepared them.

  2. CindyRVT says:

    Veterinary technicians are required (in most states) to have a 2 year degree in veterinary technology from an AVMA accredited veterinary technology program, to have passed the Veterinary Technician National Exam and a state exam in order to be credentialed. They are also generally required to attend a set number of continuing education courses each year to keep up with changes in veterinary medicine. Veterinary technicians are educated in veterinary anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, animal husbandry, surgical assisting, anesthesia, medical nursing, diagnostics such as radiology and ultrasonography, clinical pathology, parasitology, medical terminology and record keeping, biological collection and sample handling and preperation, etc. They can also specialize in areas such as emergency and critical care, internal medicine, anesthesia, dentistry, behavior and equine nursing.

    The American Veterinary Medical Association maintains a list of accredited degree programs on their website:

    These programs often offer electives or classes that do cover some exotic animal care and restraint. You can also look at continuing education (seminars, etc) events that are geared towards people who handle exotic species to get more information and experience.

    The Association for Zoo Veterinary Technicians is also a very good resource. They can help you find internships, preceptorships, etc at zoos for specialized training.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.